Yaron’s Pickled Olives
The Tirosh Plantation grows many varieties of olive trees from which we produce our varietal oils. This means that our olives are harvested and pressed by variety, and the pressed oils are stored separately by variety, allowing us to preserve the unique tastes and qualities of each one.
- 1 kg green olives
- 1 heaping TBSP kosher salt per liter of water (or brine with an 8% salt contents)
- 3-4 peeled garlic cloves
- ½ lemon cut into quarters
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole allspice berries.
- 1-2 Shata peppers
- olive oil.
- Pick green olives and fill container. Empty them onto a clean surface.
- Take a hammer or heavy non-fragile object (a can of corn, for example) and crack the olives open. Alternately, you can slit each olive open with a knife.
- Put them back in the container and fill with water. Replace the water daily for a week.
- On the last day, drain the water and add all the spices to the olives in the container. Replace with water and salt, or 8% brine, and cover the water with a thin layer of olive oil
- Let rest for two weeks.
- Taste. Depending on the flavor, let rest some more or begin to enjoy the fruits of your labor.